Complex Collection and Bankruptcy Related Litigation
The Firm has represented a number of plaintiff and defendant interests in a variety of collection and/or bankruptcy litigation matters, including for example the following:
- We represented the estate of a former chief executive of a major metropolitan hospital in claims asserted in the hospital’s Chapter 11 proceeding in U.S. Bankruptcy Court alleging breach of employment and severance agreements.
- We represented a life settlements company in actions against a hedge fund investor in life settlements for breach of contract and in the hedge fund’s Chapter 11 proceeding in Delaware Bankruptcy Court.
- We defended a work-out firm in an action brought by lenders to Burger King franchisees against claims that the work-out firm tortiously interfered with loan agreements by advising franchisees to default on loans as part of restructuring their debt to the franchisor.
- We represented holders of a judgment against an insolvent company and its bankrupt former principal in proceedings to recover D&O policy proceeds from the carrier as garnishee.
- We represented the owner of 50% of a company providing display services to national retailers in connection with the unwinding of a business relationship with a long-time partner.
- We represented the principal of an investment bank and broker dealer in a series of litigations and related matters arising out of an alleged $60 million fraud and the consequent unwinding of the firms.
- We defended a private equity fund against various claims asserted in the wake of the disposition of the assets of a portfolio cutlery business.
- We defended a French acquirer of a Tennessee-based chemical manufacturing company in connection with various efforts to hold the acquirer liable for certain obligations of the selling entity.