DAVID G. TRACHTENBERG
Phone: 212.972.2929 x210
E-mail David Trachtenberg
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1979
- B.A., magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1976
- Partner, Trachtenberg Rodes & Friedberg LLP, 1988-Present
- Litigation Associate, Willkie Farr & Gallagher, 1979-1988
- New York State Bar, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1981
- New York State Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Board, ICF Industries, Inc.
- Past Treasurer, International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists, American Section
- New York Super Lawyer 2009-2017
After beginning my practice as a litigator at Willkie Farr & Gallagher, I launched our firm in 1988 to provide high-quality dispute resolution and business advisory services to sophisticated institutions and individuals. Over the past 30 years, my partners and I have developed a reputation for aggressive advocacy without sacrificing integrity, without losing sight of cost, and without ever forgetting that what matters most is achieving an optimal business outcome for our clients.
What I believe sets me apart is that I have the business experience and sound judgment to assess new matters, including the parties involved, in a fashion that allows clients to maximize the likelihood of favorable and cost-effective results. Sometimes achieving the best outcome requires the coordination of multiple suits in multiple jurisdictions. Sometimes it demands a simple rush to judgment. Sometimes it compels a measured strategy that will give the parties enough time to gain an understanding of their adversary’s strengths and weaknesses and then to develop a business solution. Sometimes it requires creative thinking to avoid litigation and arrive at an early settlement. Whatever the requirement, I give every client my full attention. Whether I’m representing a major company, a hedge or private equity fund, a professional firm, a sophisticated investor, a start-up company, an individual whose rights have been ignored, or an individual who has been cheated or misled or is being pursued for a debt he or she does not believe is owed, I remain fully engaged with my client until a resolution has been achieved.
My experience includes handling every aspect of federal and state court litigation and arbitration practice, in New York and elsewhere, from case development and initiation to discovery, motion practice, mediation, trial, appeal and enforcement of a judgment.
I also advise clients regarding their corporate and commercial matters. Among other things, I have served as the general counsel of a filament yarn distribution company, where I assisted in the management of numerous business, financial and legal issues, including successfully lobbying Congress with regard to changes in the tariff laws, and participated in planning a large overseas start-up industrial venture.